Sorg returns to bring us our regularly scheduled podcast day!. This week, he is joined by Chilla, and Katie – as well as special guest, Mike Pound (aka Uncle Crappy). The crew is talking about some of this week’s tech news for AwesomeCast 349, including:
We’ve got Mike Pound (aka Uncle Crappy) in studio recording this week’s Awesome Chat before we go LIVE for Awesome Cast.
We’re BACK! We’ve got some craft beer, some Uncle Crappy and some Dudders thanks to Katie and it’s Podcast Day!
The prodigal daughter, Katie, returns this week to keep Sorg and Chilla in check while Brian Crawford of The River’s Edge joins us for AwesomeCast 345. They’re talking about some of this week’s awesome things in technology, including:
Brian is talking about the Millvale Music Festival and their cool Google Maps integration as his Awesome Thing of the Week.
The Millvale Music Festival is also looking at integrating Google Calendar interfacing too. Geeks + Music = ROCK
Katie is giving a shout out to Chilla for her Awesome Thing of the Week – the Real Doll with Harmony AI.
AI without the Real Doll. The conversation is really geeky over here.
Because we have a scheduling conflict for our usual weekly podcast day (that’s Tuesdays for those of you not in the know), we got together for an early edition of this week’s show. Doug, Amanda, Katie, and Sorg are on air for AwesomeCast 340. This week we’re talking about awesome things in technology, including:
Katie gets to go to tradeshows for work. She’s sharing some doodads as her Awesome Thing of the Week this week.
Since Doug is playing with Katie’s toys, he’s sharing his Awesome Thing of the Week, Facebook Blueprint.
Apparently Facebook certification tests are akin to clearance testing – lots of procedure and protocol.
We’re talking Facebook ads and marketing.
Mobile apps aren’t as friendly for marketing.
Amanda is talking Instagram posting via Facebook for businesses.
Moving to Amanda’s Awesome Thing of the Week – Google Jamboard is due out in May.
This week on AwesomeCast 333, we’re talking about awesome things in technology with Sorg, Chilla, Producer Missy and the news’ Mike Pound, including:
– Mike is sharing some of the stuff he’s been up to – including Beer Me!
– Mike is bringing news media into the discussion as his Awesome Thing Of The Week.
– Pro Tip from Mike – Fact check! factcheck.org, politifact.com, snopes.com.
– We’re talking a standardized pants-on-fire metric for news stories to help people determine validity of posts.
– Moving on to some lighter topics, Chilla’s Awesome Thing Of The Week is The Hunted on CBS.
– Sorg’s Awesome Thing Of The Week is the movie Nerve. An ultimate Truth Or Dare.
– Speculating on darknet after watching Nerve.
– Missy’s Awesome Thing Of The Week is a gadget that snaps onto your guitar for a Guitar Hero learning style.
– Shout out to Slice on Broadwaye for their continued support of the show with the perfect pepperoni pizza!
– Our App Of The Week is a layer picture editor app.
– Thanks to Brandon for contributing the Soda Tap to this week’s discussion.
– There’s a bacon toaster?
– Tired of the news? You can change pictures of Donald Trump to kittens!
– Chromebook is making another push.
– Microsoft is making a push for education.
– Google is making an affordable VR option with Daydream VR.
– Amazon made a dash button for candies. The gift that keeps on giving.
– Amazon needs to partner the dash candy/chocolate button with local florists to save guys from doghouses.
It’s our last episode of the year. We’re getting geeky and nostalgic – checking our predictions from last year and talking tech and social media predictions for 2017, with the local nerds that use it on AwesomeCast 329!
– We’re LIVE with our year-end Christmas show with Doug Derda and Cynthia Closkey, talking about our awesome things of the year on this week’s episode.
– Sling and cordcutting were our awesome things of the year for 2015 as we reflected back last year.
– Meerkat? Wow!
– Cynthia is sharing her awesome thing of the year for 2016 – her smart watch (Apple Watch) and wearables in general.
– Sorg is sharing his woes over the Pebble buyout in comparison to the Apple Watch.
– Doug is pitching a Kickstarter campaign for a Kickstarter movie talking about Kickstarter campaigns.
– Google Glass is still a discussion at the end of 2016.
– Wheelz is sharing his awesome thing of the year – his Samsung phone.
– Doug is sharing Facebook LIVE as his awesome thing of the year and how interesting instacontent is.
– Speaking of bleeding edge tech – we can’t help but talk about iJustine and how she was livestreaming a decade ago.
– How do you stand out in a tidal wave of content now that instacontent is so available?
– Are people looking at instacontent for content or for interaction with other people?
– Doug is teaching us about the Musically app through his son’s usage.
– Sorg’s awesome thing of the year is self-driving cars – especially since he’s been in one!
– Speaking of self-driving cars, studies show traffic would be better with less traffic lights.
– It’s 2016 prediction recap time!
— Doug was WRONG with his prediction about online superstardom.
— Cynthia is recapping her accurate mom factor prediction about streaming programming.
— AI advancement prediction by Chilla is ACCURATE! (You can thank Alexa, Sir.)
— DJ Lunchbox’s iPhone7 prediction – ACCURATE! (WTH headphone jacks?)
— Technology to communicate with pets. Sorry Katie, we’re not sure whether Catterbox counts this year.
– Apple’s biggest innovation – a phone that doesn’t explode!
– Predictions for 2017!
— Doug predicts Google+ will finally die.
— Sorg thinks Twitter will not be an independent company by the end of 2017. Will it go to Verizon?
— Cynthia thinks VR video will not be a thing next year, as in it’s not going anywhere, and we won’t know why. She doesn’t believe it will get past Cardboard and it’ll be at least another 3 years before we see any solid movement with VR.
— Rizz predicts the Nintendo Switch will revolutionize gaming
– Thanks for a great (at least by way of tech) 2016! Make sure to hit us up with what tech Santa brought you!
After the show remember to:
Eat at Slice on Broadway if you are in the Pittsburgh area! It is Awesome! (sliceonbroadway.com)